Sunday, April 17, 2011

How to get the pictures of your family that you really want

This is more a lifestyle organization post rather than a photography post . . . but if it helps someone other than me get the "important" photos then I think this is where it really belongs.

When I look back over the year in a "big picture" kind of way, I always hope that I captured the kids photos at (or near) their birthday. I always hope for pictures of the kids at Easter and a whole family photo at Christmas. Pretty basic right???

but it is surprisingly tricky to always get done. So here is what I have done over the years to make it more manageable.

For Easter, my goal is to have the kids wear their easter clothes on both Palm Sunday and Easter Sunday. I try to take the pictures on palm sunday right after church so that on Easter sunday I don't have it to worry about.

For Christmas, my plan is to have the kids in all their Christmas clothes on the Sunday after Thanksgiving and we do the photos right after church.

This means planning their clothes ahead and not making their clothes be a "gift" on the holiday. It also means we get to enjoy wearing them as we herald in the season. It also gives me plenty of time to get the photos ready for cards and greetings.

JHH_1338e

In short, I don't EVER try to take these memorable photos on the memorable day -- I aim for time BEFORE -- then if those don't work out, I can always do them on the real holiday -- so far I haven't needed to. It makes the holiday more enjoyable for me and for the kids.

No comments: